Rules for Maintenance
The following rules apply to all gardeners and interim gardeners.
- Gardeners are responsible for keeping their plots actively worked and free of invasive weeds. If you can’t care for your plot, please notify the Ombudsperson for your section.
- Gardeners are responsible for keeping the pathways around their garden maintained. You can use mulch that we usually have available, or you can mow.
- Gardeners must keep the pathways clear for easy, safe walking and maneuvering of wheelbarrows. Do not leave plant materials, rocks, or tools in the pathways. Place garden hoses coiled and to the side of the pathways.
- Gardeners are responsible for maintaining the community areas of the garden. These areas include: native plant beds, community herb bed, orchard, grapes, blackberries, tool shed, community gathering spaces, entrance area, wildlife habitat area, and compost area. Others may be created as the garden develops
What happens if I am unable to maintain my plot for an extended period of time?
All maintenance requirements apply for gardeners who travel for an extended period of time yet want to keep their plot when they return. If you must leave your plot for an extended period of time, you are required to find an interim gardener for your plot, who will be subject to all the rules of the community garden including Community Work Hours requirement. The interim gardener must register as a gardener, provide contact information, and attend an orientation with the orientation team. If it is not possible to find an interim gardener, the plot must be left weed free and a cover crop planted. You will be subject to monthly Work Hours fees unless someone provides the Work Hours requirement on your behalf during the period of absence.
Enforcement of Rules
- A gardener who cannot maintain his or her plot(s) for a temporary period but wishes to return to gardening within the following season must cover the plot(s) in a cover crop to ensure that weeds are controlled.
- Ombudspersons for the garden plot sections will function as Plot Maintenance Monitors, and will contact any gardener whose plot shows the following conditions: overgrown with weeds; overgrown with Bermuda grass; not being actively gardened.The gardener will then have two (2) weeks to correct the violation. It is the gardener’s responsibility to make arrangements with the Section Ombudsperson if the gardener will not be able to clean up the violation by the two-week deadline.
- If sufficient improvement has not occurred by the end of the two-week compliance period, a plot forfeiture letter will be sent to the gardener, and a copy will be sent to the Treasurer. If the gardener wishes to continue gardening, he/she must give notice of this intention, in writing, to the Treasurer within one (1) week of receiving the forfeiture letter. If no written intention is received and the violation is not cleared up at the end of the two-week period, the gardener’s plot will be forfeited, and no money will be refunded. If written intention is received that the gardener wants to continue to garden, but the condition continues to occur within a six-month garden season, forfeiture of the plot is automatic and no deposits will be refunded.
Community Work Requirements
Each gardener is required to contribute at least two (2) hours of work each month to Festival Beach Community Garden. These required labor hours are a way for all gardeners to participate in the up-keep and smooth operation of the community garden. Gardeners can choose to pay $20 per month in lieu of the work hours. Everyone has the opportunity to work the required time by participating in community workdays.
Community Workdays take place every month on the 2nd Saturday. The main focus of the Community Workday is to maintain the common areas of the garden (areas that are shared by everyone).
If you do not attend the Community Workday, you can still fill the 2-hour requirement before the end of the month. A notebook with a list of tasks will be left in the shared tool shed. You must complete one of those tasks and document your time in the notebook to fulfill the requirement.
If you do not complete your work hours for the month, you will be charged $20.00 for that month.